The mission of the St. Louis County Library District is to provide the resources and services to enrich individual minds, enhance lives and expand perspectives.
The St. Louis County Library District is a political subdivision of the state of Missouri and was established by a vote of the residents of St. Louis County in 1946. In 1947 the first library building opened and was quickly followed by two branch locations in the heavily populated portion of North County. The 1960s saw an additional four branches, including a new Headquarters building and the first of many building expansions. This building boom resulted in the construction of branches throughout the 524 square miles of the county. A tax levy passed in 1973 allowed the library to add 12 branches to the system, bringing the total number of branch locations to 20. St. Louis County Library is supported primarily by the property taxes of District residents.