Call: 314-994-3300 ext. 2070
Visit us at:
1640 S. Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131
United Church of Christ records held by the Special Collections Department
St. Marcus began life as the South Church (Untere Kirche) of the German Evangelical Congregation that separated from Holy Ghost Church in 1843. In 1848, the South Church separated from the North Church (Obere Kirche), taking the name "St. Marcus" in 1856 (the North Church became St. Peter's). The congregation razed its 1845 church and dedicated a new church seating 800 in 1867. The building was heavily damaged by the May 1896 tornado but rebuilt. When St. Marcus members began moving out of the neighborhood, the congregation bought a lot on the southwest corner of Russell and McNair Avenues in 1906 and dedicated a new church on March 14, 1915. Schisms in the congregation led to the founding of St. Pauls Church in 1848 and Jesus Church in 1894.
Text in German and English.
|Roll||Item||Ministerial Act||Years||FHL Roll||Comments|
|23||1||Index to Baptism||1861-1862 1847-1860||1503034||p. 31-38 1-30|
|23||2||Index to Baptism||1887-1881 1863-1880||1503034||p. 713-738 741-800|
|23||3||Baptism||1888-1906||1503034||p. 1-349 Cont. on next roll|
|24||1||Baptism||1906-1910||1503035||p. 348-400 Continued from previous roll|
|24||3||Baptism Index||1888-1891||1503035||p. 3-47 Note: "Alphabetical List of Parent of Baptized"|
|24||4||Register of Communion||1877-1897||1503035|
|24||5||Marriage Marriage Index by Year||1847-1908 1872-1847||1503035||p. 1-464 14-1|
|24||8||Burial||1890-1904||1503035||p. 2-249 Cont. on next roll|
|9||1||Burial, Volume 2||1904-1908||1491823||p. 248-391 Continued from previous roll.|
|9||2||Burial, Volume 3||1908-1979||1491823||p. 1-500+|