(Adopted by the Library Board on January 22, 2007. Revised December 17, 2007, April 19, 2010, July 21, 2014.)
St. Louis County Library strives to provide the highest level of service to all library users. In order to foster an environment in which customers are able to use the library's resources, services and programs as effectively as possible, we require that all customers comply with the following rules of conduct.
- Engaging in any illegal activity or behavior will not be permitted.
- Weapons are prohibited on Library property.
- Selling, soliciting, panhandling, or loitering on Library property is not permitted.
- Vandalism of Library facilities, equipment or materials will be prosecuted.
- Library materials must be properly checked out before being removed from the building.
- Customers may not talk loudly or behave in a disorderly or disruptive manner. The use of profane or threatening language or other harassment of Library users or Library staff will not be permitted.
- Tobacco use and smoking in all forms, including the use of electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, are not permitted inside the Library or within 25' of entrances.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on Library property.
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children while they are on Library property. Children under ten years of age must be accompanied and adequately supervised by a responsible adult or babysitter. Older brothers, sisters, or caretakers under the age of 17 are not considered adequate supervisors.
- Children of any age with mental, physical or emotional problems who require supervision should be accompanied by a parent or caregiver at all times.
- The teen and children's areas of Library facilities are designed for children, teens, their families and caregivers. Use of these areas by adults who are not parents, guardians, teachers or caregivers may be restricted to ensure that children, teens and their families have adequate access to the resources provided specifically for them.
- Animals are not permitted on Library property except when needed to aid persons with disabilities or used in conjunction with Library programs.
- Entering the Library without shoes or shirt is prohibited.
- Neglecting personal hygiene so that it is offensive and constitutes a nuisance to other customers will not be allowed on Library property.
- Bathing, shaving, or washing clothes in public restrooms is not permitted.
- Petitioning inside Library buildings is prohibited. The circulation of petitions outside Library facilities may not impede the free access of the public to Library buildings and resources. Petitioners refusing to comply with this policy will be asked to leave Library property. (See Petitions & Electioneering Policy May 21, 2012)
- Cell phone use is prohibited in designated quiet areas and during classes or programs. To avoid disturbing others, calls in all other areas should be answered promptly and kept as brief and quiet as possible. Customers are expected to conduct lengthier conversations in the lobby or outside the building.
- The use of cameras or other recording devices is prohibited without the prior permission of the Library.
- Customers are expected to abide by established time limitations for the use of public access computers and other equipment and must observe the Library's Computer Use Policy (May 18, 2009).
- Customers should leave the Library promptly at closing time.
- The use of skateboards, roller blades or scooters is not permitted on Library property. Bicycles are not permitted inside the Library.
- Customers may not post notices or distribute leaflets without the prior authorization of the Library.
Persons who fail to observe this code will be asked to leave the building or be subject to arrest.