"Descriptive Recruitment Lists of Volunteers for the United States Colored Troops for the State of Missouri, 1863-1865" (NARA Microfilm Publication M1894 – 6 rolls) is a unique and rare set of records microfilmed as a partnership between the Julius K. Hunter and Friends African American Research Collection and the National Archives. More information about the records is available by clicking on the links below.
About the index
The index can be browsed alphabetically by slave owner’s name and alphabetical by name of recruit. Contact the History and Genealogy Department for more information about specific records listed in the index.
Saint Louis University history major John R. Harris III, volunteers Rohini Sankaran and Anthony F. Kardis, and the staff of the History and Genealogy Department created this index.
The index can be downloaded as two PDFs by clicking on the following links. The PDFs include slightly more detail.
- Index by slave owner's name (976 kb)
- Index by recruit's name (976 kb)
Index symbols and notations
- [blank] = No data was listed in the original record.
- / = The original record showed a non-alphabetical marking (usually a horizontal dash) rather than written notation or a blank space.
- [?] = Part or all of the written material was difficult or impossible to read.