> | United Church of Christ Records | Main page
> | United Church of Christ Records | By location
> | United Church of Christ Records | Alphabetical
> | United Church of Christ Records | Alphabetical | F-J
Holy Ghost Evangelical Protestant Church
St. Louis, Missouri
Also known as: Unabhängige Deutsche Evangelische Protestantische Kirche zum Heiligen Geiste, Independent German Evangelical Protest Church of the Holy Ghost, Holy Ghost German Evangelical Church, Holy Ghost Evangelical Church, Holy Ghost Evangelical and Reformed Church, Holy Ghost United Church of Christ
Locations: Met at Benton School, 6th & Locust, beginning 1834; 7th & Clark, 1840-1858; 8th & Walnut, 1858-1895; Grand & Page, 1895-1923; Spring & Flad (in B’nai El Temple), 1923-1928; 4916 Mardel near Kingshighway, 1928-2007.
Other information. Holy Ghost survived two divisions. The first came in 1843, when Pastor George Wall left to form the German Evangelical Congregation of St. Louis, a single congregation with two locations that later became St. Marcus and St. Peter’s Churches. The second came in 1856, when Pastor Fredrick (Franz) Picker founded the Independent German Evangelical Protestant Church (now known as Christ the King United Church of Christ).
Cemetery: Holy Ghost Cemetery was founded near Arsenal and Gravois in 1846. The last burial took place in 1901. When the cemetery was closed by city order in 1917, graves were removed to St. Marcus, Zion Evangelical, Bellefontaine, St. Peter’s and Independent German Evangelical (now Gatewood Gardens) Cemeteries.
- “Holy Ghost Marriage Records (1834–1844).” St. Louis Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 19: 1-4; Vol. 20:1 – 4; and Vol. 21: 1
- "Historical Review of the Holy Ghost United Church of Christ." R 977.865 B676H
Text in German and English.
|Roll||Item||Ministerial Act||Years||Index||FHL Roll||Comments|
|14||3||Baptism||1834–1839||Y||1503025||p. 1–398; includes list of pastors, 1834–1964|
|16||1||Baptism||1873–1883||Y||1503027||p. 1–395 Index recorded twice; one at end of item easier to read|
|16||2||Baptism||1884–1907||Y||1503027||p. 1–382 Dates on item title page are incorrect.|
|16||3||Chronological list of pastors||1503027|
|16||3||Communicants, collections||1914–1930||1503027||p. 401–402,|
|18||5||Burial||1868–1873||1503029||Cont. on Roll 19|
|19||1||Burial||1873–1886||1503030||Continued from Roll 18, Item 5|
|19||3||Holy Ghost Cemetery Burials||1860–1894||1503030|
|19||4||Holy Ghost Cemetery Burials||1877–1887||1503030||Continued on Roll 20, Item 1|
|20||1||Burials||1887–1895||1503031||Cont. Roll 19|
|20||4||Cemetery Lot Owners||Y||p. 1–87|
|20||5||Cemetery Lot Owners||1846–|
|20||6||Cemetery Lot Owners||1840–1849|
|20||7||Membership Lists||1856–1917||Alphabetical arrangement|
|107||Jubilee Concert Programs||1904 & 1906|
|107||Cemetery Lot Owners Index||1846–||Alphabetical|
|108||Marriage||1872–1887||Y||p. 1–397, 2–396 This entire film—the left hand pages were microfilmed and then the right hand pages.|