St. Louis County Library Mission
The mission of the St. Louis County Library District is to provide the resources and services to enrich individual minds, enhance lives and expand perspectives.
- Customer service excellence: Committed to being the best at what we do
- Lifelong learning: Creating access to experiences and ideas
- Youth empowerment: Supporting children and their development
- Community engagement: Building and maintaining relationships
- Integrity: Honoring the public's trust through wise stewardship
Statement on Race and Social Equity
We are committed to achieving racial and social equity by contributing to a more just society in which all community members can realize their full potential. St. Louis County Library can help achieve true and sustained equity through intentional, systemic and transformative library-community partnership. Our library is working to achieve equity in the communities we serve by:
- Eliminating racial and social equity barriers in library programs, services, policies and practices;
- Creating and maintaining an environment of diversity, inclusion and respect both in our library systems and in all aspects of our community role;
- Ensuring that we are reaching and engaging disenfranchised people in the community and helping them express their voices;
- Serving as a convener and facilitator of conversations and partnerships to address community challenges; and
- Being forthright on tough issues that are important to our communities.
Libraries are trusted, venerable and enduring institutions, central to their communities and an essential participant in the movement for racial and social equity.
St. Louis County Library 2023-2026 Strategic Plan
Promote Literacy and Support Lifelong Learning: We serve the community’s literacy needs from infancy to adulthood. We are the best resource for supporting lifelong learning and individual growth.
- Foster the love of reading.
- Connect readers of all ages to a diverse collection of materials that reflect community interests and aspirations
- Encourage interactions around reading by offering engaging programs, events and readers’ advisory services
- Offer inclusive author events to connect the community to new stories, perspectives and ideas
- Support literacy skills as essential tools for realizing potential and leading engaged lives.
- Create opportunities for the development of emergent literacy skills to support the advancement of youth
- Offer programs, services and collections to improve reading skills for all readers, regardless of age
- Connect with immigrant populations by supporting English language learners
- Offer programs and resources to increase digital, health, financial and information literacy
- Encourage lifelong learning by providing equitable opportunities for individual growth and skill development.
- Create learning opportunities to support the development of 21st century workforce skills
- Provide the community with technological resources and assistance to stay connected and confidently navigate a digital society
- Promote inclusive economic advancement by providing access to services, programs and resources
- Encourage curiosity and creativity by connecting the community with resources and programs that motivate and inspire
Foster a Sense of Community, Inclusion and Belonging: We seek to understand the needs of our community and provide opportunities to connect and enrich the lives of our patrons.
- Promote inclusion, equity and diversity in our collections, services, programs, partnerships and employees.
- Engage all communities, races, ethnicities and cultures to inform our work and foster authentic connections
- Reflect the diversity of the community in our collections, programs, presenters and events
- Recruit and retain library employees who represent the communities we served.
- Provide training, professional development and ambassador programs to support and empower employees to innovate and provide outstanding service
- Engage in targeted outreach to deepen community connections and amplify awareness of library resources.
- Employ outreach services as a means to deliver convenient library services to new and underserved populations
- Establish a presence and build connections at community events to support our ability to know and meet community needs
- Use outreach as a marketing tool to build awareness of resources and services available at the library
- Encourage employees to be proactive in promoting library resources
- Respond to the unique character of our individual communities.
- Establish and nurture mutually supportive partnerships that enhance inclusive initiatives and our ability to meet community needs
- Identify and engage underserved populations such as teens, LGBTQIA+, veterans, immigrants, people with disabilities, justice-involved individuals and the unhoused
- Offer dynamic services that strengthen neighborhoods, overcome barriers and welcome all
Increase Access, Impact and Awareness: We strive to increase access to and awareness of the library’s resources and services.
- Provide welcoming physical and virtual spaces to promote community and inspire curiosity and creativity.
- Use interior spaces and design to make branches into destinations
- Utilize green outdoor spaces as an extension of our branches
- Provide safe places to visit and work
- Maintain the library website and mobile app to be accessible and navigable
- Use marketing techniques to increase community awareness of the library.
- Promote the library brand with sponsored and promotional advertising
- Establish targeted marketing campaigns and diversified messaging to reach specific populations
- Increase awareness of library resources, services, programs and initiatives to support the community
- Engage with the community and promote initiatives through multiple social media platforms