(Approved by the Library Board on September 26, 2022)
Library programs and events support the mission of the Library, which is to provide the resources and services to enrich individual minds, enhance lives and expand perspectives. St. Louis County Library serves a large population that is diverse in age, race, ethnicity, culture, education, socioeconomic level, gender identity and sexual orientation. Within the constraints of its resources, the Library offers a diverse range of programs in a variety of formats to support the informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs of the population it serves. In addition, programs enable the Library to fulfill initiatives identified in the Strategic Plan.
Programming will seek to accomplish one or more of the following objectives:
- Meet community needs
- Expand the Library’s role as a community resource
- Introduce patrons and non-users to Library resources
- Provide entertainment
- Provide opportunities for lifelong learning and community building
- Encourage inclusivity and recognize the diversity of the community
- Expand the visibility of the Library
Library employees responsible for the development of programs use the following criteria in making decisions about program topics, speakers, and accompanying resources:
- Fulfillment of one of more of the objectives above
- Relevance to community needs and interests
- Availability of program space
- Presentation quality
- Presenter background/qualifications in content area
- Connection to other community programs, exhibitions or events
- Relation to Library collections, resources, exhibits and programs
The Library draws upon other community resources in developing programs and actively partners with nonprofit organizations, community agencies, educational and cultural institutions, government entities, or individuals to develop and present co-sponsored public programs. Library sponsorship of a program does not constitute an endorsement of the content of the program or the views expressed by participants, and program topics.
Library programs and events are open to the public. Registration may be required for planning purposes or when space is limited. The Library may make reasonable accommodations to ensure that programs and events are accessible to all who wish to attend and participate.
All Library program and event participants must comply with the Library’s Code of Conduct.