The Missouri Bicentennial Commission is holding a competition to select posters for Missouri’s Bicentennial in 2021. St. Louis County Library will sponsor up to four entries in the state-wide contest. Two posters will be selected from elementary grades (3-6) and two from the secondary grades (7-12). Grade level is based on the 2019-2020 school year. The guidelines for St. Louis County Library’s contest are based on those for the Bicentennial Commission’s competition: https://missouri2021.org/bicentennial-poster/.
Rules and Guidelines
- Entries accepted September 1-30, 2020.
- Open to youth who were in grades 3-12 during the 2019-2020 school year.
- Entries should interpret the theme: Sharing Missouri’s stories—past, present, and future.
- Students should use two-dimensional art media (i.e. paints, crayons, colored pencils or collage) and ensure the media will transfer to a poster format.
- Designs should be 8.5"×11" and vertically oriented.
- Only entries created by individual students without assistance— with the exception of appropriate assistive technology devices— will be considered.
- Only one entry per student will be considered.
- Judges will evaluate entries based on the following criteria:
- Interpretation of the contest theme: Sharing Missouri’s stories— past, present, and future.
- The originality of the submission.
- Consideration of geographic and cultural diversity.
- Aesthetic quality; i.e. the art submission should be appealing to the eye.
- Overall artistic ability; i.e. degree of creativity and skill for its age group.
- Ability to translate the concept into a final poster design.
How to Enter
- Design your poster.
- Scan or take a photo of it.
- Email the scan/photo as an attachment to email@example.com, along with the following information:
- First Name, Last Initial of entrant
- Grade level during the 2019-2020 school year
- SLCL card number
- Library Branch
- Parent/Guardian Phone
- Parent/Guardian Email
- Keep your original poster. Finalists will be asked to mail or drop off the poster at SLCL, so it can be sent to the Missouri Bicentennial Commission for the state-wide competition.