St. Louis County Library is expanding the Digital Equity Initiative to help underserved older adults access technology and stay connected to loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic. GrandPad tablets come preloaded with data and wireless internet. The devices are easy-to-use and help older adults stay connected with loved ones through email, video and online access. Eligibility requirements apply.
- Must be age 65+.
- Must be a resident of St. Louis County.
- Must have a valid St. Louis County Library card in good standing–if an applicant does not already have one they may apply via our online St. Louis County Library card application form.
- GrandPad applications will only be accepted through the online application form.
- GrandPad applications may be completed by someone other than the applicant on behalf of the applicant.
- Supplies are limited.
- This is a subscription service that will be provided at no cost to the applicant.
- Upon completion of the term of service, Applicants will be required to return the device to the library or choose to take over the subscription payments.
- The GrandPad tablet has a built-in 4G LTE cellular data plan with the device. There is no need for a hotspot, WiFi, or internet connection in the user’s home.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a GrandPad?
The GrandPad is a tablet device specifically designed for ease of use by seniors with little or no computer or technology experience. The GrandPad is designed to keep seniors connected to loved ones while safely accessing the internet and the tablet’s other features. It includes built-in data connection through a cellular service so there is no need for other internet services. GrandPad users can access email, make phone calls, participate in video calls, take, send and receive photos, access information over the internet, access quick links to weather and news, and enjoy a range of entertainment options, such as games and music. Watch this video for more info.
How much will the GrandPad cost me as the user?
The subscription is entirely paid for through American Rescue Plan Act funds received by the Library. There is no cost to patrons who receive a GrandPad.
What happens at the end of the subscription service?
St. Louis County Library is exploring possibilities to extend the GrandPad subscription service, but in the event that this is not possible, GrandPad customer service representatives will communicate with all GrandPad users near the end of the subscription term to present options for keeping the device. Users will have an option to keep the device and accept responsibility for future subscription fees for the GrandPad. GrandPad users who do not agree to this will receive a due date notification from the Library at the end of the term with instructions on returning the device to the Library. All devices with which subscriptions are not extended by the user must be returned to St. Louis County Library at the end of the term.
What is the minimum age to apply for a GrandPad?
The GrandPads are targeted to users who are 75 years of age or older, but senior adults over the age of 65 may apply.
Do I need to provide some kind of internet access to use the GrandPad?
GrandPads come with built-in cellular service, so no additional internet connection is required. This also makes the device portable and usable wherever adequate cellular coverage is available. Service coverage is strong throughout St. Louis County.
I don’t have a St. Louis County Library card. How can I get one?
I don’t live in St. Louis County. Am I eligible to apply?
No, applicants must live in St. Louis County and have a valid St. Louis County Library card.
Who should fill out the application form for a GrandPad?
The application form can be completed by the person who would receive the device, or by a family member or friend on behalf of the prospective GrandPad user.
What is the role of the Administrator on the application form?
The Administrator cannot be the same person as the Applicant. The Administrator or “family admin” for short, will serve an important role with the GrandPads. GrandPads are carefully configured to provide a safe and secure environment for senior users. In order to safeguard this, the Administrator will be the only person authorized to make configuration changes to the settings of the tablet. This includes adding contacts and “whitelisting” acceptable contacts and websites. The Administrator can perform this work remotely online and does not need to live in St. Louis.
I applied, but I need to update my information on my application.
What comes with the GrandPad if I receive one?
The GrandPad comes with everything needed to get started right away. It includes a wireless charging cradle that is easy to use as well as a protective case for the tablet.
GrandPad Design and Functions
- The GrandPad is a tablet device that is specifically designed for ease of use by seniors with little or no computer or technology experience.
- The GrandPad is designed to keep seniors safe while accessing the internet and other features.
- With built-in cellular connectivity in the device, the device can be used nearly anywhere where a cellular connection is available, including in one’s home or while traveling outside the home.
- GrandPad offers live, personal customer support for each user through the push of a single button on the screen.
- GrandPads come with an easy-to-use wireless charging stand.
- GrandPads allow users to make phone calls, and video calls.
- GrandPad users are all granted an email account that is already setup on their device.
- GrandPads offer access to valuable information such as library resources and information pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic, including testing sites and information about vaccinations and registering to receive one.
- GrandPads offer access to news, weather and many forms of entertainment, including music and games.
- GrandPads allow users to take photos and send and receive pictures with family and friends.