Enter your original literary work and you could win a prize!
Calling all kids and teens ages 8-18 with a talent for creative writing! The library is holding a contest for all writers. There will be prizes for the winners.
How to enter:
Complete the online entry form with your original story attached between March 1 and March 31, 2017. You will be asked to include:
- Current SLCL card number
- Library Branch
- Parent/guardian name
- Acknowledgment that you have read the official contest rules and followed them. You agree that the attached document is your own work and contains your own original ideas.
Official Rules and Guidelines
- Students age 8-18 are encouraged to enter.
- Entrant must have a valid SLCL card.
- Limit one submission per person.
- Write one story, including the line: "Well, that was unexpected."
- Entry can be funny, serious, etc. Judging will be based on originality, story flow/continuity and mechanical elements (grammar, punctuation, spelling).
- Story must be between 250-500 words long for ages 8-14 and between 500-1000 words long for ages 15-18 (title does not count).
- Please send entry as a ".doc" or ".rtf" file.
- Each entry must be typed and double-spaced (no fancy fonts please).
- Do not write your name or place any other identifying marks on the story pages.
- Entries must be received between Wednesday, March 1 and close of business on Friday, March 31, 2017
- Winners will be chosen in three categories: Ages 8-10, Ages 11-14, and Ages 15-18.
- Winners will be notified by Friday, April 14 and posted at www.slcl.org within a week.
- First place entries will be posted in their entirety on the Kids' blog and Teen blog.
- Judges' decisions are final.
- Visa gift cards will be given for 1st ($50) and 2nd ($25) place in each category.