Print a PDF of these instructions
How to Check Out eBooks and eAudiobooks for Your Android Device using the OverDrive App
*Instructions may vary slightly depending on your specific device.
You will need a valid library card and PIN and access to the Google Play store.
Installing the OverDrive Media Console App
- Before you may check out your first eBook or eAudiobook, you will need to install the free OverDrive Media Console App onto your Android device.
- Search the Google Play Store for OverDrive Media Console.
- Once you find it, tap Download or Install to download the app.
- Then tap Accept and Download.
- Once it has installed, open the OverDrive Media Console App.
- For eBooks, you will need to authorize the app with an Adobe ID.
Getting an Adobe ID
- When you first open the app, a prompt will display asking you to authorize your device.
- If you have an Adobe ID, skip to Step 8.
- To get an ID, tap the Get a free Adobe ID button. This will open Adobe's website.
- Enter all required fields on the Create Adobe ID page.
- When finished, tap Create at the bottom of the page.
- Remember the email and password you used for your Adobe ID, you will need it again.
- Return to the OverDrive Media Console app.
- Tap the App Settings icon.
- Enter the email address for your Adobe ID and your Adobe account Password.
- Tap Authorize.
Getting to the St. Louis County Library OverDrive Collection
- Tap the Get Books icon or the Menu icon, then Get Books.
- Tap Add Library.
- Type in your zip code, then tap Search.
- Choose any St. Louis County Library location.
- That location's information is displayed.
- Tap the star to save the St. Louis County Library to your "Get Books" list.
- Tap St. Louis County Library.
- The mobile version for the St. Louis County Library OverDrive's webpage is displayed.
Signing on to Your OverDrive Account
- Before you can check out an eBook or eAudiobook, you must sign into your OverDrive account. To do this, tap the Account icon on our OverDrive mobile site.
- The Sign In page will display.
- Enter your Library card number and PIN into the corresponding fields.
- Tap the Sign In button.
- Your Bookshelf will display.
- Once in your account, set your default lending periods under Settings. For eBooks and eAudiobooks, you may select 7, 14, or 21 days.
- Tap the Menu icon to browse the library's selection.
Checking Out eBooks or eAudiobooks
- When you find a book you like tap the Book Cover.
- The page will display showing the book you selected.
- Tap the Borrow button; this will automatically check out the book to you for the lending period previously selected.
- Once the title is checked out, you will be automatically directed to your bookshelf.
- Tap the Download button for the title you would like to download. If multiple formats are available, a drop down menu will appear allowing you to choose your format. Select your format and tap Confirm & download.
- When finished downloading, tap the Menu icon and tap Bookshelf.
- Tap the title to open the book.
- That's it! Your library books are now ready for many hours of reading enjoyment. And don't worry about overdue fees. Your library books will automatically expire at the end of the lending period you selected.
Returning eBooks or eAudiobooks Early
1. In Bookshelf view, tap the plus sign to the right of the title.
2. Tap Return/Delete.
3. If you are sure you want to return the title, tap Return then Delete.
When in the title, tap the middle of the page to bring up additional options:
- Tap the Menu icon to return or delete the title and to navigate back to your Bookshelf.
- Tap the Navigation icon to navigate between chapters.
- Tap the Settings icon to change Reader settings.