St. Louis County Library is now offering Chromebook & Hotspot kits for check out. Each kit contains everything needed to connect to the internet at home, including a Chromebook and a Wi-Fi hotspot. The kits can be requested through the SLCL catalog and picked up curbside at any SLCL branch. An adult library card in good standing is required to check out a kit. The check out period is two weeks.
The kits will provide computing and internet access almost anywhere. Chromebooks are optimized for internet use and allow users to perform web-based tasks faster than a traditional laptop. A hotspot can be used to connect Wi-Fi-enabled devices to the Internet–including phones, tablets and laptops. A hotspot can connect up to 10 Wi-Fi devices simultaneously.
- Chromebook & Hotspot Kits can be requested through the catalog or by calling 314-994-3300 and picked up curbside at any SLCL branch.
- Kits will be restricted to library card-holders aged 18 and up with an established library card in good standing.
- Both devices do not filter content. Parents and caregivers are responsible for monitoring children’s online activity.
- Kits can be checked out for two weeks, however these kits cannot be renewed.
- Equipment not returned by the due date or returned with missing components will be assessed significant fees that will appear on the user’s library account. Service to the hotspot will be deactivated and the Chromebook will be disabled.
- Please fully charge the Chromebook and hotspot before you return it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I do not return the kit by the due date?
Equipment not returned by the due date or returned with missing components will be assessed significant fees that will appear on the user’s library account. Service to the hotspot will be deactivated and the Chromebook will be disabled.
What can I do on a Chromebook?
Many tasks can be done on the device such as updating social media accounts, checking and sending email, accessing SLCL’s digital content, reading the news, applying for jobs, performing research, video chat and much more!
Do Chromebooks have a web camera?
Yes, the devices have a web camera, speaker and microphone.
Can I print from the Chromebook?
Can I install software on the Chromebook?
Software and Chrome Extensions cannot be installed on the device. Users can use web-based applications only.
Can I use Zoom on the Chromebook?
Yes, you are able to use Zoom. You will not be able to add an “Extension” from the Chrome Web Store, but you can “Join from Your Browser”. Look for the linked words “Join from Your Browser” in small print at the bottom of the “Add Zoom to Chrome” page.
What personal information is being tracked?
When the lid is closed, your session ends, erasing any personal data/cache.
SLCL is not responsible for any files, data, or personal information accessed/transmitted using the hotspot.
The hotspot program is an opt-in service, and the ISP is not bound to the SLCL’s patron privacy policies. SLCL does not have access to or collect specific usage data. SLCL does not provide patron information to the service provider. The only data the SLCL collects is the total amount of data transmitted and received by each device during a billing cycle and anonymous circulation data related to checkouts of the hotspot devices.